Tuesday, May 31, 2011

It's All Voldemort's Fault

Harry Potter Train
Glenfinnan Viaduct, Courtesy of Google Images
There were few things in Scotland  I was looking forward to as much as taking the Harry Potter train. When I learned that West Coast Railways took passengers on THE train used in the Harry Potter films from Mallaig to Ft. William across the famous Glenfinnan Viaduct (also featured in the movie), I knew this was an experience I had to work into my trip. After doing some research, I came to find out that there was only one day that had seats left on the train while I was going to be in Scotland. The train was booked solid for both May and June! I knew it was going to be a taxing process to figure out how to place myself in the correct part of the country to take this ride. I will spare you the details…long story short, I had to completely rearrange my last 10 days in Scotland to make this happen. Hey, a girl’s gotta have priorities!

After an hour and 15 minute bus ride to the south side of the island, I left the Isle of Skye via the Armadale Ferry…a 30 minute ride across the channel to the mainland city of Mallaig, where I had two hours to walk around and do a little shopping before boarding my Harry Potter train (also known as ‘The Jacobite’ but personally, I think Harry Potter train is a way cooler name). Once I boarded the train, I was excited to see that I had scored a window seat at a table for four, but unfortunately I was not in one of the cabins that was used in the movie; however, one of those train cars was just adjacent to mine so I was able to snap some photos at least. I was so excited at this point, but a little bummed cause there are about 20 of you that I would have given my left arm to have with me at the table! The people who did end up sitting at my table with me were three Germans about my age. For a fleeting moment I was amped since I know a little Deutsch J, so I said something in German to the guy across from me about how I speak a little, thinking they might think it was cool that I could communicate with them somewhat (I’m all by myself, and trying to make friends here!)…Hmmmmm nope. With a small smile and nod at my comment, he turned back to his girlfriend and who I understood to be her brother and they all pretty much ignored me for the entire trip. Ah well, I tried.

Hallway to Harry's Compartment

Train Compartment
Going under the bridge


Now I gotta say, riding on a steam engine train is pretty cool, if for nothing but the fact that it makes all the cool train sounds! Also, they are only allowed to go about 50 mph, so you get a better view of the scenery. But, the “big moment” of the two-hour Mallaig -- Ft. William journey is, of course, going over the Glenfinnan Viaduct. Not only was it featured in the Harry Potter movies, but for those that don’t enjoy HP, The viaduct gives way to some spectacular views of the Western Highlands. The train schedule actually gives the time that the train will be crossing the viaduct so that you can be ready. Knowing we were getting close to that time, I took a quick bathroom break. On my way to the bathroom several cars away, I noticed that many people were standing to the right in the space in-between the cars looking quite anxious, with cameras in hand. At first I found it odd that they were standing there, but while I was peeing, it dawned on me what they were doing. The windows in-between the rail cars can be opened all the way, while the windows in the cars only open at the very top…they were waiting to lean out and take pictures across the viaduct! I needed to find a window so I could get a video! Almost all the windows on the right (the side where the viaduct curves inward) were taken by someone, but I finally found one just outside my own car. Yes! I stood there for a moment and opened the window, looked out, it was perfect…But the luck stops there unfortunately. In the time it took me to pop back to my seat and grab my camera (maybe a minute or even less, it was literally on the other side of my cabin door), a woman who had previously been leaning out the left window, had realized her mistake and decided to take up post at my window. THIEF. Oh I was so angry. I wasn’t sure what to do. I left and went from one end of the train to the other but every single window on the right side of the train was taken up by someone waiting to see us cross the viaduct. I wanted to punch that lady in the head and tell her to go back to her original window. But I didn’t want to be rude, so I said nothing and let her stay there with nothing more than a few sighs, grumbles, and clearing of my throat escaping me. LAME. I wish I wasn’t such a wuss. Isn’t this trip supposed to be about not compromising what’s important to me? About re-learning to stand up for myself? I don’t mean to make this silly little predicament about that, but seriously, it has become so easy for me to just sit there and endure with clenched teeth to keep life running smoothly. And because of that, I ended up having to settle for a window on the left side of the train and got a video of the back of the viaduct as we crossed which, ok, at least I got something, but it’s not nearly as cool, and definitely doesn’t feel like the Harry Potter movie. If only that bitch hadn’t stole my window. But really it’s not her fault, she was just trying to get the most of her experience, just as I was. Really, it’s my fault for not saying anything, or even asking her (or anyone) if we could somehow share a window.

I was so disappointed that I missed the viaduct, I was almost in tears. I had rearranged my itinerary, spent a stupid amount of extra money just to get a seat on this train which is almost always sold out, and had missed my one chance to see the one thing I was waiting for. And it’s not like I can just hop on over to Scotland anytime I want for a redo. One day I will go back, with friends, and I will be fully prepared to stake out my window before we even leave the station, and you better believe I will “Avada Kedavra” anyone who tries to take it from me.

Lesson learned: speak up and be true to you, whatever the situation, or you will almost always get the short end of the stick.



All in all, as much as I hate to say it, the Harry Potter train experience came up short for me. If it weren’t for the awesome Harry Potter playing cards I got from the gift shop on the train, I would have written it off as a bit of a bust. It’s the first “must do” on this trip that wasn’t all that it should have been, or in this case, could have been. And it had to be my Harry Potter train…*sigh*…I’m convinced had to be the work of evil-doers to have the gall to ruin that one for me! Personally, I blame Voldemort.

;-)

Love to all, until next time!



"It is our choices that show us who we really are, far more than our abilities" -- Albus Dumbledore



2 comments:

  1. Sorry about the viaduct experience, but it still looked amazing! Matty would be SOOOOO jealous of your choo train ride...lol. We're taking him on a Thomas train ride in a few weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw, man. Maybe if I had been there, we could have joined our sighs and throat clearing to get the point across to that lady, lol. Or better yet, one of us could have saved the window!

    The pictures still look awesome, and I am STILL jealous that you rode that train!

    Have fun and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete