Sunday, July 10, 2011

Dude, Where's My Bike?

I have to first start off by apologizing to those of you that have followed my blog closely during my trip. I have dropped the ball and have fallen so far behind in my updates that I will probably still be updating after I am already back in the States. Sadface. I am going to do my best in the coming days to catch you up as best as I can. I wish I could offer you a valid excuse, but honestly, I have none. It is hard to make yourself sit down at the end of a long day and put thought into writing something substantial. But I am sorry, and I will finish this story if it kills me :-) I hope I haven't lost all of you with waiting, and I hope you will continue to follow me and enjoy the rest of the journey...

So let me tell you about Amsterdam :-) When I first arrived, I was beyond exhausted. I had been travelling all day and because of my early flight, opted to spend the night in the Edinburgh airport...not so comfy...or fun. Because I had limited internet access in the previous days, I had not had a chance to book lodging for my Amsterdam visit. Nor did I factor in that I was going to be arriving on a Friday and staying through the weekend. You know what this means folks!? EVERYTHING IS BOOKED. When I got off the train in the city center, I went straight to the tourist information office to try and sort things out. Unfortunately for me, it was packed full of tourists, like myself, who also had nowhere to stay. 200 frustrated tourists + 12 kiosks + no AC in the building = ...you guessed it, something just shy of utter chaos. For 2 hours I waited in there, for my number to be called. I was sitting next to a couple who was looking as distraught as I probably was at that point, and I could tell they were getting equally as frustrated with the situation. The couple looked about my age and eventually, the girl's eyes met mine. She asked me if I was also hoping to find a place to stay. This is how I met Myriam and Jon, from Greece. 


Myriam and I
Myriam spoke English fairly well, but Jon spoke very little, so we all got to know each other with Myriam helping Jon and I communicate. They are wonderful people, my age, engaged to be married, and also on holiday. We decided to team up together, because we received some advice that if we were a group it may be easier and/or cheaper to get a place to stay. I also offered to help translate once we were called up to the kiosk. In an attempt to stay concise, I will just say that the tourist information office turned out to be of little help to us. We decided to wing it and just started walking door to door in the hostels, hoping for a bed, or three. We ended up coming to another agency that was advertising assistance with finding cheap lodging, so we decided to give it a shot. the gentleman in there was very kind, and informed us that the only option he had left to offer us was "The Boat Hostel" ...40 Euros per person for night. He said he could book us for Friday and Saturday and then Sunday we could get a hostel for much cheaper. Not wanting to waste and entire day in Amsterdam we took the opportunity. It was no 15 Euro per night at a hostel, but it was considerably less than the 150 Euros hotel rooms the tourist information center offered us. So my first two nights in Amsterdam were on a boat, in a tiny little seaman's cabin...but it actually ended up being pretty cool.
My Boat Hostel


Beautiful Amsterdam
So here is the thing about Amsterdam. First, it's AWESOME. There is really no way around it. Even now, so late in my trip, it is by far one of the most beautiful cities I have visited. Multicolored buildings lining the streets, which are divided by canals running through the center...Lush trees, flowers, grass...ethnic diversity...It took my breath away. The history of Amsterdam is rich; There is so much to see, do, and learn. Everyone rides a bike. EVERYONE. Ok, so there are some cars too, but oh my goodness there are bikes everywhere. They even have bike parking lots! Thousands upon thousands of bikes...I have no idea how one would find his/her bike after leaving it in a bike parking lot. The pictures don't even come close to actually seeing it in person. But it is great because everyone is outside all the time and being active! It is also an easily walkable city ...DIVERSITY. It is a beautful thing to see gay/lesbian couples with the freedom to walk down the street hand in hand or kiss in public and not worry about someone flinching or scoffing in their direction. You walk into pubs, restaurants, or coffeeshops and see people of all different colors, clothing styles, shapes & sizes, speaking different languages, or coming together by speaking English. What an incredible feeling to be among those who are so tolerant, accepting, and not afraid of differences such as race, sexuality, gender, lifestyle, etc. It's very utopic, in a way, and you instantly feel at ease and welcome in your surroundings. 


Bicycle Mayhem

All of that beauty and wonder in this city, and I haven't even mentioned the big fat elephant in the room that sits there staring you down when anyone says the word "Amsterdam"...*Gasp*Whisper* you can smoke pot there! ...which I hope proves that marijuana is NOT the only reason to visit Amsterdam! A perk, surely, but there is much more to this beautiful city, I assure you, so if you ever visit, don't spend all of your time in the coffeeshops...just half of your time ;-)

I will touch on the marijuana subject, because let's be honest, it wouldn't be a worthy Amsterdam post if I didn't, so I will say this...The whole concept of being able to purchase a pre-rolled marijuana ciggarette (spliff) much like you would purchase a beer or a basket of french fries, even, was pretty mind boggling at first, I guess because there is really nowhere else in the world where smoking is tolerated on this level...yes my friends, it is not actually legal in Amsterdam, just tolerated. But really the city keeps things running very nice and smoothly. There are fairly stiff rules -- The best one, in my opinion: You cannot drink alcohol in the same place that you smoke. If you want to drink, go to a bar and quench your thirst with a pint. If you want to smoke, go to a coffeeshop and enjoy a spliff and some coffee, tea or soda. I like this. It is controlled, monitored, and coffeeshops are a legitimate business and a place for socializing and relaxing. It eliminates drug dealers and a lot of the illegal activity that would otherwise be taking place. They are not promoting inebriation, and to the locals, becoming so is a big display of disrespect...to them, you are missing the point completely.
Seriously, the only people who were out there making fools of themselves were the over zealous tourists who were trying to show off and be badasses, and ended up getting too fubarred to function...and honestly, I only saw one or two of these types. From the mouth of a local: "If you mix alcohol and marijuana, you are not using either for the right reason, and you are abusing the privilege of living in the 'free world' (local pet name for the city)." So anyway, that's my ganja spiel. Take it for what you will.

It was very interesting to be among people who were so open and accepting to this type of social control. And I think that must be why it works for the Netherlands...there is social control with a purpose of harmony and unity in their society. I won't pretend to be an expert after only spending 4 days there, but for those that are skeptical or firmly against this type of free-thinking attitude, I promise you, it is not as abhorrent as you may be imagining. The nightlife is "hoppin" just as it is in Atlanta, NYC, Chicago, LA or any other city for that matter, and also like any other city, it is not without its dark sides, but otherwise Amsterdam is a peacefully progressive place. And I quite enjoyed myself :-)

Highlights of my time in Amsterdam: Flugel Jenga competition at the traditional Dutch Pub with the locals, Madame Tussaud's, Dam Square and all of its glorious street musicians, Red Light District (for shock value, of course), tour of Anne Frank's secret annex, enjoying a crepe on one bank of one of the canals, taking half-day strolls through the city...for real, just walking is awesome...taking in the city, the sights, the atmosphere, the people...I think my favorite thing to do in Amsterdam may have been the afternoons I spent walking around, people watching, and enjoying the outdoors. And of course, on my last day in Amsterdam, I was awarded with my first glimpse of familiarity...my old roomie Andrew met up with me for a day in "The 'Dam" before heading to Italy! What a relief to see that beautiful, familiar, smiling face! Perfect person to hang with on my last day. :-)


Dam Square

Flugel Jenga Competition

Afternoon Stroll

Andrew!




My only regret in Amsterdam: I did not take nearly enough pictures. 


Until next time, My Loves!


"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the wrong way, and the only way, it does not exist." --Friedrich Nietzsche




 Two great songs about tolerance, acceptance, peace, and equality...I posted both cause I just couldn't choose!
 :-)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment